Thursday, August 23, 2007

Customers I hate #873

Ok, I am in tech support and I get calls all the time about someone not being able to access the web.

I have my list of things that I hate, and I will list these occasionally with a rant.

This is "Customers I Hate # 873."


"Your crappy internet service is down again!"


Ah, yes! These people are dumbasses to the extreme sometimes. To blame the internet service for being down before it is actually diagnosed is just stupid.

Most of the time the call goes like this:

Me: Thank you for calling tech support, how can I help you?

Them: My internet don't work. This happens all the time. I was online last night, but now it won't work. What's wrong with your service? Why is it always not working?

Me: I'm sorry to hear about that. Let me take a look at your account and see if I can see what the problem is. (My empathy statement. Anyone who works in this field "knows" what this is.)

Them: I just can't believe that the service is down again. I am so frustrated right now, I should just cancel the service completely. How would you feel about that?

Me: I can transfer you to the Disconnect department if that's what you want.

Them: No, just fix my shit.

Me: Ok, let me have your account information.

Them: What do you mean? I already verified it 100 times already. I swear to God you people piss me off. ( They give a huge sigh and reluctantly verify the info I ask)

Me: Thank you for that. Let me see your account and check your cable modem out. ( I look up the info, and check to see if the modem is online, which it normally is)

Them: (huge sigh again. They want me to know how exasperated they are with me.)

Me: ok, it looks like the modem is online....

Them: No! the modem isn't online. I can't get on the web....

Me: As I was saying, the modem is online, but it doesn't look like your router is communicating with it. Can you unplug the power from the router for me for about 45 seconds?

Them: No! I've already done all the troubleshooting and your service is down. I'm not going to do any more troubleshooting.

Me: ok then. If you refuse to troubleshoot, then we have nothing more to talk about. Thank you for calling.....

Them: Wait! ok, I'll unplug it. (they go to unplug, and after the set amount of time, they plug it back in) I still can't get online.

Me: You have to give the router a second to synch up. Try it now.

Them: Oh, I'm online. Thank you so much.

Me: Thank you for calling tech support.


Sigh. I get about 15 calls just like this every day. They always want to say they've done it all and it turns out that most of the time, these dumbasses are just completely wrong, which is why I can't stand them.

If they had already done the troubleshooting, they would not have had to call me, which leads me to the very first tip of the day:

"Listen to what I say and do what I ask you to do. You called me for help, I didn't call you"

OK, this ends my rant for now. Feel free to comment :)

6 comments:

Brian said...

Ah yes, a place I know well. You don't happen to work for Apple Support do you????

Say hello to Brandy for me.

Senihele said...

That was you!?!?!

Actually I just had a similiar, but not exact, exchange with verizon. I *had* already trouble shooted (is that the proper term??) and just needed to check to see if they had reports of outages in the area. Dude wanted me to turn control of the computer over to him and I told him no way. I'm not an idiot and tried once more to tell him I had already taken the steps he wanted me to try.

Turned out when I finally got someone to check there was a problem with the service in my area. It wasn't my computer or my connection. So it works both ways. I have to say tho, that speaking with someone who speaks English is loads easier! LOL

mindtwister said...

LOL! no, I don't work for apple support, but I think everyone has customers like this.

Yeah...One thing I can't stand is outsourcing. I know that they need the jobs in India, but we need them here too. Companies should stop being so cheap and pay for the American labor, especially since the customer base is American as well.

Unknown said...

I work for an Internet Service Provider in Canada and 75% of my calls are router's needing to be rebooted or reset. I miss the good old days when you needed a Computer Science or Electrical Engineering degree to operate a computer (Fortran, Assembly Language, Unix...) There were less dumb asses back then because they were too dumb to operate a computer...

mindtwister said...

Yeah...its crazy how much you don't have to know in order to do this job anymore. In any case, its lucky for me since I don't have any degrees or anything like that.

mindtwister said...
This comment has been removed by the author.